Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Idivettu Meen Curry


It is a Mallu favourite... But boy, making a Meen curry, or even cleaning the fish is a damn job. I tried my hands on cutting and cleaning one of the most difficult of fish in Kerala, The Thiloppi or Thilappia. It has scales, hard fins and tail. I first cleaned the fish with fresh water. Then removed the scales by a kitchen knife, then cut the tails and fins using a Fish cutting scissor. That was the hardest part. My scissors were small and not that sharp. Also the flesh is very hard. Washed the fish again. Cut an incision on the belly to remove the intestine and other waste. Again washed to remove all the blood and remaining filth. Sliced the sides to apply Fish Masala... and a tough job accomplished. I handed over the fish to my wife for making that Idivettu Meen Curry. I cleaned 3-4 fish that day. A hard task indeed. I made up my mind not to buy such fish in the future. Especially one with scales and stuff. I can skip that type of  "Meen Curry" for my better halves sake...

No comments: